The Karnataka State Nursing Council was constituted in the year 1971 under the authority of Karnataka Nurses, Midwives & Health Visitors Act of 1961.
The First council was nominated by Government with different members representing various constituencies under section 3 of the Act, all together consisting of 22 members. The Council is an Autonomous Statutary Registration body for qualified Nurses, Midwives, ANM's and Health Visitors. Its function include besides others:-
1. Regulation of training programme of the diploma, Graduate and Post Graduate Courses.
2. Supervision of the practice of the profession by its Member.
3. Granting recognition to the training institutions and periodical Inspection there on, as the
Council is governing authority of physical and clinical facilities in almost all the nursing
courses conducted in the institution.
4. Proscribing syllabus and curriculum for various nursing courses and conducting
qualifying examination there for.
5. Registration and granting certificate to qualified persons to practice their profession and
to watch and take action against practice of profession by quacks and check mal-practice
as well and to take action.
The Council is as per the Act headed by President and Vice-President of the Council and both are duly elected by the members of the council under section 5 of the Act.
The Council meets under the Chairmanship of and take decision on the matters covered by its statutory functions as enumerated above. The expenditure of the Council will be met with the fees charged for Registration and Renewal.